To help you get the most out of your deployment of the Citizen Dialog Kit, we have developed a step-by-step methodology. It consists of 4 phases:
- Identify: In this first step of the methodology the general topic of what problem or issue needs to be addressed is further specified by identifying the causes to this problem, target audience, context, required data, message and questions. This step takes the form of a workshop with policymakers, data experts, data visualizers and local communities and has as output the data necessary to address this topic.
- Visualize: The second step consists of brainstorming about ways to show the data identified in the previous step and building a narrative to convey the message and ask the questions also determined in the first phase. This step takes the form of a workshop as a communication tool between data visualizers and other stakeholders.
- Deploy: This step consists of the technical aspects of the installation of the devices such as building the hardware, setting up the back-end and deploying the displays in the city. Instructions for this step are provided in the manual and on the website and github page.
- Dialog: The final step addresses the monitoring and maintaining of the deployment. Talking to passers-by, tracking social media, interpreting and using the polling results. Take actions based on the results.
- Instruction booklet (beta v. 0.2)
- Phase 1: Identify (workshop worksheet - v. 1.0)
- Phase 2: Visualize (workshop worksheet - v. 1.0)